Friday 15 August 2014

Class Rules

Our school has four school rules that are used by all students. The rules are 'I am an Active Learner', 'I am Responsible', 'I am Respectful', and 'I am Safe'. As these rules are non-negotiable I did wonder how I was going to use the WBT method of gestures and reciting the rules daily.

Finally, after much thinking, I came up with the following rules which incorporate the school rules and WBT strategies. I have put the gestures in brackets.

Rule number 1. (Draw a circle in the air with one finger held up.) I am an Active Learner, (Pump arms back and forth as though running.) follow directions quickly. (One hand makes a snake like movement from the body out in front.)
Rule number 2. (Draw a circle in the air with two fingers held up.) I am Respectful, (Right hand up to forehead as though saluting) listen to others. (Cup hands behind ears.)
Rule number 3. (Draw a circle in the air with three fingers held up.) I am Responsible, (Right arm across body, hand up to left shoulder. I tell the students it is like putting on a seat belt. We all have to wear a seat belt in the car. Mum and Dad expect us to be responsible and put it on every time we get in the car.) make smart choices. (Tap pointer fingers of both hands to temples).
Rule number 4. (Draw a circle in the air with four fingers held up.) I am Safe, (Cross both arms in front of body.) ask for permission to leave the room. (Hand up in the air to ask for permission, circle finger and point to the door).

I introduced one rule a day for the first week of Term 1. By the end of the week the students could recite all four rules with the accompanying gestures. The students were so proud of their achievements. Reciting the rules along with gestures is what makes them easy to memorise. As well as being whole brain, reciting the rules with gestures also fits in well with Gardener's multiple intelligences.
               visually: they look at the rules that are on display in the room
               kinesthetically: physically using gestures with each rule
               interpersonally: the students work with each other to recite the rules. They also support each other if someone forgets a rule.
               Musically: the rules are recited in a rhythmical fashion, speaking out loud and in unison

I always had in the back of my mind that there are 5 WBT rules, the fifth one being "Make your dear teacher happy". This rule did not fit with the school rules and I must admit I thought it was a little 'corny'. However, I have since learned more about the use and reason behind rule 5 so have now introduced it to my class.

I chose to introduce Rule 5 to the class after receiving more information and instruction about Class Rules from Chris Biffle on a WBT video. Chris, fondly known as Coach B, said that there is a loophole in every rule except rule 5. Children will try to argue their way out of the rules when you point out a breaking of the rule. “I wasn’t speaking. I was just asking a question.” “I was making a smart choice.” They are able to do this because each rule has two points of view, theirs and mine. However there is no loophole with rule 5 because there is only one point of view, mine.

I remember feeling really self conscious about Rule 5 also because it seemed as though I was trying to make a rule about getting the student’s attention. Coach B pointed out that although the rule may seem to be all about me it is really all about the students. What makes me the happiest? Seeing my students do their best learning and this happens in an environment where they feel safe, valued and respected.

Part of the WBT method is to go over the rules daily, not to just make a lovely poster and have it on display in the room, hoping students will catch the rules by osmosis.

Reciting the rules is a part of my daily routine and is very effective in the classroom. One thing I have not yet mastered with the class is the use of a specific rule recitation if there is an infringement in the class at a particular time. For example, if a student is speaking while another student is addressing the class, I would like to say Rule 2 and have the students just recite rule 2 as a reminder to their required behaviour. At this stage when I mention a particular rule the class recites all five rules. To get around this I am going to have the class recite the rules in random order. 



No comments:

Post a Comment