Monday 8 September 2014

"Class-Yes"

Since beginning my blog on Whole Brain Teaching a number of teachers have told me that they are interested in trying some WBT strategies and are thinking about beginning next year. 

May I suggest you begin next term. Why put off something that will have such a positive effect on you and your students?

If I were to suggest two WBT strategies you could start with they would be ‘Class-Yes’ and ‘Scoreboard’. I will begin by explaining ‘Class-Yes’. This is the ‘best-ever-attention-getter’ I have used in 14 years of teaching. No more clap-clap-clappity-clap or chanting or begging for me.

I hope through reading my posts that you are getting the message that Whole Brain Teaching is all about utilising the different sections of the brain together to ensure the students are focused and engaged. ‘Class-Yes’ uses the pre-frontal cortex, motor cortex and auditory cortex.

When I need to get the class’s attention I begin by activating my prefrontal cortex, the area of the brain that controls decision-making and focusing of attention and I say, ‘Class.’ The students respond by saying ‘Yes’ in unison and they turn to face me with their hands on their heads.

They are taught in the first few weeks that they are to put down anything in their hands and completely turn to face me. In this way, I can be anywhere in the room when I need to give an instruction. The class doesn’t need to all come back to one central place to hear the instruction. Therefore, I am not interrupting their activities for long, enabling the flow of learning to continue.

When the students all stop what they are doing, say ‘Yes’, turn to face me and put their hands on their heads they are activating their prefrontal cortexes, enabling them to be focused on the information I will be giving them. I don’t waste time trying to get their attention. I don’t play games hoping to capture their attention. I don’t speak over the minority hoping the majority who are listening will hear me. Class, yes, message given, and everyone back to work. It is that simple and that quick.

As I have mentioned in previous posts, WBT focuses on keeping the fun in learning. There is fun to be had in ‘Class-Yes’.

However I say ‘Class’ and whatever tone of voice I use, the class must mimic.

Teacher: Class, class.
Students: Yes, yes.

Teacher: Class a doodle doo.
Students: Yes a doodle doo.

Teacher: Oh claaaaaaaass.
Students: Oh yeeeeeeeess.

You get the picture. The tone of voice and also volume can be chosen depending on the mood and activity at that very moment. Imagine the students are all deep in thought as they write their narratives. For some reason I need to give them all a message, or new instruction but I don’t want to startle them or interrupt the peace and quiet of the room. I can whisper, “Class, class, class.” The students will whisper in response, “Yes, yes, yes.” The mood of the class has not been interrupted.

If however, the class is very busy in exploring activities, working in groups etc and there is a lot of hubbub in the room that I need to silence in order to give an instruction, I will sing, “Class, class, classity class,” starting loud and getting quieter. This way the class hears me but by mimicking my volume, their volume is reduced to nothing, my message is given and work resumes.

When I first introduced ‘Class-Yes’, I used the strategy with ‘Scoreboard.’ When the class responded quickly they were all rewarded with a point on the scoreboard. If they were not pleasing to me in their response then I put a score on my side of the scoreboard. The class learned quickly that they needed to work together as a team. If the class chose to give me the point they could not blame another student for their perceived loss, as they are a team and all are responsible for the outcome.

As the class become very good at ‘Class-Yes’, they do not always get a score on the scoreboard. I choose sometimes not to give them a point, as I want to just pass on another piece of information without interrupting the flow of the lesson.


One last tip on using ‘Class-Yes’, is that there will be times when you may need to tighten it up a bit. The class may get a little sloppy or slow in their response. They may need a little adjustment here or there. Just remember to keep it short and FUN.

No comments:

Post a Comment